Senior Polymer Chemist
Concrete4Change (C4C) is a R&D company that is developing a ground-breaking technology to utilise and permanently mineralise CO2 in concrete.
C4C technology won a wide range of awards including the United Nations (UN) most innovative Net-Zero technology Climate Challenge Cup at COP26 in Glasgow, Royal Academy of Engineering and UN SDG. C4C is partly owned by two of the largest concrete manufacturers in the World (Siam Cement Group and Goldbeck GmBH). C4C is running several projects in partnership with the University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield & University of Warwick (total project value of £4M for 2023-2024).
We are excited to offer an exceptional opportunity for a highly skilled and ambitious Polymer Chemist with expertise in encapsulation, polymer coating, spray drying, formulation, emulsion, microencapsulation, and hollow fiber spinning. As part of our rapidly growing team, you will play a crucial role in C4C's innovative projects focused on advancing sustainable materials for various industrial applications.
Please see the specification of the roles & responsibilities below:
- A PhD in Chemistry or polymer chemistry is required. A deep understanding of polymer chemistry and formulations is required.
- Demonstrated 2+ years of post-PhD experience or equivalent industrial experience.
- Proven track record of initiative, high agency, and achievement to adjust to the rapid needs of a startup. Ability to learn and determine short comings quickly and remedy them through development and external resources.
- Formulation Development: Experience in formulating coatings and encapsulation solutions, considering factors such as material compatibility, stability, and targeted application requirements.
- Encapsulation Techniques: Proficiency in different encapsulation techniques, including microencapsulation, nanocoating, and layer-by-layer assembly, to protect and modify solid materials.
- Coating Techniques: Familiarity with various coating methods, such as spray coating, dip coating, roll-to-roll coating, and electrostatic coating, for the application of protective coatings on solid surfaces.
- Material Characterization: Ability to use analytical techniques to characterize coated and encapsulated materials, including microscopy, spectroscopy (e.g., FTIR, UV-Vis), thermal analysis (e.g., DSC, TGA), and mechanical testing.
- Experimental Design: Skill in designing experiments to optimize coating and encapsulation formulations, considering factors like material selection, process parameters, and performance evaluation.
- Polymer Chemistry: In-depth knowledge of polymer chemistry, including polymerization methods, polymer structure-property relationships, and various types of polymers (e.g., thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers).
- Proficiency in laboratory techniques, including synthesis, characterization, and testing of materials, as well as chemical sample handling and analysis.
- Excellent data analysis and interpretation skills for drawing meaningful conclusions from experimental results.
- Adherence to laboratory safety protocols and familiarity with hazardous materials handling and regulatory compliance.
- Project Management: Experience in managing projects related to coating and encapsulation development, including setting milestones, resource allocation, and adherence to project timelines.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey research findings, reports, and presentations.
- Strong organizational skills for maintaining accurate records, documenting procedures, and tracking experimental data.
- Willingness to learn and stay updated on the latest developments in CO2 sorbent research.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental principles and concepts in chemistry, including chemical reactions, thermodynamics, materials science, and spectroscopy.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis and data visualization software.
- Experience in the development of characterizations methodologies for complex systems of organic and inorganic materials, including polymers and solid adsorbents.
- Background in fields related to adsorption, adsorbent design, separation technologies, catalysts, materials surface functionalization, carbon capture, surface chemistry, or polymers.
- Knowledge of computational chemistry and simulation of synthetic materials.
- Regulatory Compliance: Awareness of relevant regulations and standards (e.g., REACH, FDA) related to coatings and encapsulation materials to ensure compliance and safety.
- Experience in carbon capture utilization and storage.
- Understanding of concrete and cement chemistry.
- Familiarity with intellectual property management, patent filings, and licensing agreements.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and development activities, designing experiments and conducting laboratory-scale studies on CO2 sorbents.
- Develop project plans, set milestones, and manage resources effectively to deliver projects within scope, budget, and timeline.
- Assist in designing and setting up experiments for evaluating CO2 sorbents, including selecting appropriate materials and experimental conditions.
- Prepare and synthesize CO2 sorbent materials using various methods, characterizing them with techniques like XRD, SEM, and thermal analysis.
- Conduct sorption tests to evaluate the CO2 capture capacity and kinetics of the developed sorbents, analyzing and interpreting data for optimization.
- Work collaboratively with team members, communicate findings through reports and presentations, and adhere to safety protocols in the laboratory.
- Keep accurate records of experimental procedures, data, and results, and stay updated on emerging technologies in CO2 sorbent development.
- Troubleshoot experimental setups, propose innovative solutions, and optimize procedures to improve the efficiency and performance of CO2 sorbents.
- Plan, procure, and manage the chemical laboratory in line with regulations.
C4C is seeking people who want to do applied science, with an entrepreneurial spirit and use their skills to build a sustainable world. We offer typical employee benefits plus a share of what we will build together.
- A unique opportunity to work with top universities in the UK
- An exciting opportunity to work with Multibillion Concrete Companies
- A competitive annual holiday entitlement.
- Share options
- A pension scheme
- A competitive bonus upon achieving milestones
- Unrivalled career progression pathway.
- An interesting company social calendar
- Basic Salary + Car Allowance - £36,000 - £55,000
- Share options: £5,000 - £10,000
- Bonus upon achieving KPIs: £4,000 - £6,000
Start date and end date (approx.): This is a permanent position and is available for Immediate start. Flexible on start date based on notice period.
Hours: Flexible working hours (full time)
Location: Concrete4Change Lab (Nottingham Region) - Full-time working in office is required. Ability to commute to Nottingham is required.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.