Senior Carbon Capture Chemist
Concrete4Change (C4C) is a R&D company that is developing a ground-breaking technology to utilise and permanently mineralise CO2 in concrete.
C4C technology won a wide range of awards including the United Nations (UN) most innovative Net-Zero technology Climate Challenge Cup at COP26 in Glasgow, Royal Academy of Engineering and UN SDG. C4C is partly owned by two of the largest concrete manufacturers in the World (Siam Cement Group and Goldbeck GmBH). C4C is running several project in partnership with University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield & University of Warwick (total project value of £2.5M for 2022-2023).
This position has a significant progress opportunity in a fast-growing team. You will be part of the core management team in order to deliver the C4C milestones and directly contribute to Concrete4Change’s growth.
Please see the specification of the roles & responsibilities below:
- 7 years post PhD experience leading independent research, ability to design and conduct research addressing fundamental scientific questions
- Understanding of laboratory setup, HSE requirements, experience in equipment specification development and procurement
- Knowledge of synthesis, formulation and characterisation of organic and inorganic materials including polymers, and solid adsorbents (IR, UV, Particle histogram via SEM and TEM etc)
- R&D experience in fields of adsorption, adsorbent design, separation technologies, catalyst, materials characterisation, carbon capture, surface chemistry or polymer.
- Experience in adsorption and adsorbent chemistry. (e.g. CO2 or H2S capture)
- PI or CO-PI on academic research projects or equivalent industrial experience
- Experience in developing proposals/bid writing
- Experience in computational chemisty, analysis, and simulation of synthetic materials
- 10+ years experience in material/surface/formulation chemistry
- Experience in carbon capture, utilisation and storage
- Experience in patent writing and grant proposal development
- Experience in the mineralisation of CO2 for various applications
- Understanding concrete and cement chemistry
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Indepedent self-starter who can develop new technology areas that leverage existing capabilities and expertise, including CO2 adsorption.
- Contribute to the C4C IPR for CO2 adsorption technologies.
- Contribute to the funded grant project proposals - e.g. Innovate UK, BEIS, European Innovation Council.
- Plan, procure and manage the chemical laboratory in line with regulations
C4C is seeking people who want to do applied science, with an entrepreneurial spirit and use their skills to build a sustainable world. We offer typical employee benefits plus a share of what we will build together.
- A unique opportunity to work with leading UK Universities
- An exciting opportunity to work with multi-billion concrete companies
- A competitive flexible annual holiday entitlement.
- A pension scheme
- A competitive bonus upon achieving milestones
- Flexible working hours
- Unrivalled career progression for both academic and industrial pathways
- An interesting company social calendar
- Basic Salary + Car Allowance - £53,000 - £64,000
- Share options: £20,000 - £30,000 (0.35%-0.52% equity)
- Bonus upon achieving KPIs: £4,000 - £8,000
Start date and end date (approx): This is a permanent position and is available for Immediate start. Flexible on start date based on notice period.
Hours: Flexible working hours
Location: Mix of Home Office (30%) + C4C Lab (70% - Nottingham Region) - Ability to commute to Nottingham is required.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and Cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.