Concrete/Cement Chemist (Low Carbon Concrete & CO2 Capture)
Concrete4Change (C4C) is a R&D company that is developing a ground-breaking technology to utilise and permanently mineralise CO2 in concrete.
C4C technology won a wide range of awards including the United Nations (UN) most innovative Net-Zero technology Climate Challenge Cup at COP26 in Glasgow, Royal Academy of Engineering and UN SDG. C4C is partly owned by two of the largest concrete manufacturers in the World (Siam Cement Group and Goldbeck GmBH). C4C is running several project in partnership with University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield & University of Warwick (total project value of £1.2M for 2022-2023).
This is a research and development position with significant progress opportunities in a fast-growing team. You will be part of the core R&D team in order to deliver the project milestones and directly contribute to C4C’s growth.
Please see the specification of the roles & responsibilities below:
- PhD degree in cement/concrete chemistry or a closely related field.
- Experience running independent research projects, ability to design and conduct research addressing fundamental scientific questions.
- Understanding carbonation mechanisms, and critical assessment of CO2 uptake and concrete performance over various life stages (product, use and end-of-life)
- Well organised, attention to detail, critical thinking, and ability to work independently
- R&D experience of developing low carbon concrete
- Experience of managing R&D grants
- Experience in carbon capture utilisation and storage
- Experience in patent and grant proposal development
- Experience in mineralisation of CO2 for various applications
- Experience of contributing to scientific publications.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of internal cement/concrete chemistry knowledge for carbon capture and utilisation in concrete
- Testing and evaluation of carbon capture and utilisation (CCU) techniques on the properties and long-term performance of cementitious materials
- Contribute to the C4C IPR for CO2 adsorption technologies.
- Contribute to grant writing for the next phase of R&D projects
- Conduct cost-benefit analysis and LCA of the material developed
C4C is seeking people who want to do applied science and use their skills to build a sustainable world. We offer typical employee benefits plus a share of what we will build together.
- Opportunity to work at leading UK Universities
- Work with multibillion concrete companies
- A competitive flexible annual holiday entitlement.
- A pension scheme
- A competitive bonus upon achieving milestones
- A flexible working hours
- Unrivalled career progression for both academic and industrial pathways
- An interesting company social calendar
- Basic salary + competitive bonus upon on achieving milestones
- Salary Range - £32,000 - £52,000
Start date and end date (approx): This is a permanent position (Immediate start - Flexible on start date based on notice period).
Hours: Flexible working hours
Location: Mix of Home Office + C4C Lab (Nottingham Region) - Ability to commute to Nottingham is required.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.