Concrete4Change (C4C) is a R&D company that is developing a ground-breaking technology to utilise and permanently mineralise CO2 in concrete.
C4C technology won a wide range of awards including the United Nations (UN) most innovative Net-Zero Technology Climate Challenge Cup at COP26 in Glasgow, Royal Academy of Engineering and UN SDG. C4C is partly owned by two of the largest concrete manufacturers in the World (Siam Cement Group and Goldbeck GmBH). C4C is running several projects in partnership with University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield & University of Leeds (total project value of £2.5M for 2022-2023).
This position has a significant progress opportunity in afast-growing team. You will be part of the core management team in order to deliver the C4C milestones and directly contribute to C4C’s growth.
Please see the person specification and roles & responsibilities below:
- 4 years post PhD experience leading independent research, ability to design and conduct research addressing fundamental scientific questions
- Understanding of laboratory setup, HSE requirements, experience in equipment specification development and procurement
- Understanding carbonation mechanisms, and critical assessment of CO2 uptake and concrete performance over various life stages (product, use and end-of-life)
- Understanding concrete and cement chemistry
- R&D experience in developing low-carbon concrete
- PI or co-PI on academic research projects or equivalent industrial experience.
- Experience in developing proposal/bid writing.
- Experience in computational chemistry, analysis and simulation of synthetic materials
- Experience in carbon capture utilisation and storage
- Experience in patent writing and grant proposal development
- Experience in the mineralisation of CO2 for various applications.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Independent self-starter who can develop new technology areas that leverage existing capabilities and expertise, includingCO2 adsorption.
- Contribute to the C4C IPR for CO2 adsorption technologies.
- Contribute to the funded grant project proposals– e.g. Innovate UK, European Innovation Council, UKRI, Horizon Europe.
- Plan, procure and manage the chemical laboratory in line with regulations.
- Utilisation of cement/concrete chemistry knowledge for carbon capture and utilisation in concrete
- Evaluation of carbon capture and utilization(CCU) techniques on the properties and long-term performance of cement-based materials
- Conduct cost-benefit analysis and LCA of the material developed
C4C is seeking people who want to do applied science, with the entrepreneurial spirit and use their skills to build a sustainable world. We offer typical employee benefits plus a share of what we will build together
- A unique opportunity to work with top universities in the UK
- An exciting opportunity to work with multi-billion dollar concrete companies
- A competitive flexible annual holiday entitlement
- A pension scheme
- A competitive bonus upon achieving milestones
- Unrivalled career progression pathway
- An interesting company social calendar.
- Basic Salary + Car Allowance: £43,000 - £60000
- Share options: £5,000 - £30,000
- Bonus upon achieving KPIs: £2,000 - £8,000
Start date and end date (approx.):
This is a permanent position and is available for immediate start. Flexible start date based on notice period.
Flexible working hours (Full-Time)
Concrete4Change Office/Lab (Nottingham Region). Full-time working in office is required. Ability to commute to Nottingham is required.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.