Carbon Capture Chemist (Adsorbents)
Concrete4Change (C4C) is a R&D company that is developing a ground-breaking technology to utilise and permanently mineralise CO2 in concrete.
C4C technology won a wide range of awards including the United Nations (UN) most innovative Net-Zero technology Climate Challenge Cup at COP26 in Glasgow, Royal Academy of Engineering and UN SDG. C4C is partly owned by two of the largest concrete manufacturers in the World (Siam Cement Group and Goldbeck GmBH). C4C is running several projects in partnership with University of Nottingham, University of Sheffield & University of Leeds (total project value of £1.2M for 2022-2023).
This position has a significant progress opportunities in a fast-growing team. You will be part of the core management team in order to deliver the C4C milestones and directly contribute to C4C’s growth.
Please see the person specification and roles & responsibilities below:
- 3 years post PhD experience leading independent research, ability to design and conduct research addressing fundamental scientific questions
- Understanding of laboratory setup, HSE requirements, experience in equipment specification development and procurement
- Knowledge of synthesis, formulation and characterisation of organic and inorganic materials including polymers, and solid adsorbents (IR, UV, Particle histogram via SEM and TEM etc)
- R&D experience in one of these field fields of adsorption, adsorbent design, separation technologies, catalyst, materials characterisation, carbon capture, surface chemistry or polymer.
- Experience in adsorption and adsorbent chemistry (e.g. CO2 capture).
- PI or co-PI on academic research projects or equivalent industrial experience.
- Experience in developing proposal/bid writing
- Experience in computational chemistry, analysis and simulation of synthetic materials
- 10+ years experience in material/surface/formulation chemistry
- Experience in carbon capture utilisation and storage
- Experience in patent writing and grant proposal development
- Experience in the mineralisation of CO2 for various applications.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Independent self-starter who can develop new technology areas that leverage existing capabilities and expertise, including CO2 adsorption
- Contribute to the C4C IPR for CO2 adsorption technologies
- Contribute to the funded grant project proposals– e.g. Innovate UK, European Innovation Council, BEIS, Horizon Europe.
- Plan, procure and manage the chemical laboratory in line with regulations.
C4C is seeking people who want to do applied science, with the entrepreneurial spirit and use their skills to build a sustainable world. We offer typical employee benefits plus a share of what we will build together
- A unique opportunity to work with top universities in the UK
- An exciting opportunity to work with multi-billion dollar concrete companies
- A competitive flexible annual holiday entitlement
- A pension scheme
- A competitive bonus upon achieving milestones
- A flexible working hours
- Unrivalled career progression pathway
- An interesting company social calendar.
- Basic salary + share option package + bonus upon the achieving milestones
- Salary range - £45,000 to £63,000
Start date and end date (approx): This is a permanent position and is available for immediate start. (Flexible on start date based on notice period)
Hours: Flexible working hours
Location: Mix of Home Office + C4C Lab (Nottingham Region). Ability to commute to Nottingham is required
To apply please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.